Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Soundtrack of my life

Thirteen Songs From the Soundtrack of TLC's life
Okay, 20, but I tried to narrow it down, I really, really did
  1. 1.Green, Green Grass of Home
  2. My mother and I used to harmonize to this song. She played the organ and we would sing together. I remember looking up at her, as the sun shone through the window illuminating her face, and she glowed. She was larger than life. And she was happy, then. I must have been about 5. My mother is so very rarely happy, it is one of the treasured memories I have of her.

  3. 2. Grandfather's Clock
  4. My brother had a FIsher-Price clock when he was a baby. It was red, with yellow hands, and the face turned, revealing interesting pictures. The song it played has stuck with me for all of these years. I never knew what the song was called, but I hummed it all the time. Last year, JBug heard me and she said, "Hey, I didn't know you knew Grandfather's Clock!" I whirled on her, eyes wide: "WHAT did you say that song is?" So she showed me the lyrics, and sang it for me, and she was absolutely right. I told her a piece snapped into place in my world now that I know the name of that song. And yes, I still hum it.

  5. 3. Luchenbach Texas
  6. One of the first songs I ever owned. My father made a homemade tape for me with a home tape recorder. You could hear our parakeet, Happy, chirping in the background. I loved it. The memory of the song still makes me all fuzzy, and I haven't heard it in years.

  7. 4. Hey Jude
  8. I sang this song, over and over and over and over again. Kept coming back to it, even as a teenager. It wasn't even the Beatles' version, which makes it worse. It was from some kids' album. My brother still hates this song because of the way I played it into the ground.

  9. 5. Juke Box Hero

    Foreigner, Baby! When I was a big, bad 8th grader, I would sit at my friend Carolyn's house and listen to this song, and Urgent, too. Carolyn had the best life, I thought. She was adopted, and her parents were older. Her mother was so mild-mannered, Carolyn just walked all over her. She got whatever she wanted, and never was told no. I was jealous. It was years before I understood the implications of that one...no boundaries, country kid. Not pretty.

  10. 6. Rapper's Delight
  11. I know, scary, I know Old Skool. But my friend and I had it memorized. We listened to it all over again. This is the record that started my love of rap music. Or at least, love of Old Skool. I don't do the gangsta rap where women are referred to as "garden implements". I don't like hate. I do like the catchy beats of rap, and always have. What can I say? I'm full of surprises.

  12. 7. Working for the Weekend
  13. Wasn't everybody? This was our anthem, while my girlfriends and I were getting ready to go out and cruise Main Street in our hometown. Yes, I know it is pathetic, but there was nothing to do where I grew up. Now there is even less, a few years after I grew up, they banned cruising at all.

  14. 8. Come on Feel the Noize
  15. Another party song from high school. We would play this one while we partied at Zmudowski State Beach. We called it Hidden Beach, because it was way off the beaten path and you had to park and walk over dunes. It was a great place to party, quiet, out-of-the-way and we never got caught. I only pray that my daughter has more sense than I did. (and I know I spelled the title wrong, I just don't like to write it the other way. It offends my mommiesh sensibilities.

  16. 9. At This Moment
  17. After a fight with a former flame, one of many, I was driving around trying to clear my head. It was late at night, and I was alone, and listening to the radio. This song came on and I started to sob. In an instant, it became clear, we couldn't stay together, I just didn't love him anymore. I knew I was going to break his heart, we had been together for three years, but it was time and I knew I wasn't going to ever feel the same. I can't explain it, because I am not the type of person to just walk away. But that song gave me a clarity of purpose like nothing else.

  18. 10. Here I Go Again
  19. I have always felt that I only ever had me to rely on. And through the years, as things would fall apart, and I would feel sorry for myself, I would come back to this song, as a theme song. "Though I keep searchin' for an answer, never seem to find what I'm lookin' for, oh Lord I pray you'll give me strength to carry on. Cause I know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams.." Yes, I have been there and done that. And at the risk of sounding self-indulgent (what else is this, anyway?) I close up when I get hurt, and end up wanting to do my own thing. This song reflects that, yet leaves some hope open, too.

  20. 11. Time Warp
  21. That's right, I am not a Rocky Horror Picture Show virgin. I know, I shock you. But I have seen it well over 100 times. And yes I know how to step to the ri-ii-ii-iiggght. Boy howdy. Some of my best times B.C. (before Christ) were with the gang from the Rocky. We used to watch at the Dream Theatre in Monterey. Sadly, it is gone now, some big developer wanted the land. Those were good times. Of course, I was terminally depressed, making stupid decisions and drinking way too much. But hey, you can't have everything.

  22. 12. My Prerogative
  23. And it, was, too. I went through a stage where I dressed in clothes that were too tight, went out with the wrong men and spent too much time in clubs. Color me Attitudinal. That's right, I was immature. I had just ended a long-term relationship and I was sowing my wild oats. Can you believe Bobby Brown wore that hair?

  24. 13. Crazy Love
  25. The Song with me and J. Just one of those things. We both love Van. And I loved his music before I got old, so shuddap. Else I'll hit you with my cane. Really great song. Brian Ferry does the song, too. Just about as well. The song must work, J and I are going on 17 years of marriage.

  26. 14. Arms Wide Open
  27. The song that was playing on the radio the day that I came out of the doctor's office with news that I was going to be a mother for the very first time. So many questions played through my mind. Would I be a good mother? Would J be a good dad? Will he be disappointed, especially since we said we would just have cats? (so funny to think about now) Another song that still makes me cry. I am so sad that Creed is gone. They showed a lot of promise.

  28. 15. Don't Take the Girl
  29. Newly post-partum, with my tiny baby girl on my chest, I heard this song. Guess what? Yep, I cried. I sang it to her almost every night, and even as she was growing up. (sometimes I still sing it to her, the big girl that she is. Shhh! Don't tell) And my son loves it, too. He calls it the Fishing Song, and he appreciates the lyrics. I love to sing it.

  30. 16. Return to Pooh Corner
  31. "Christopher Robin and I walked along, under branches lit up by the moon. Posing our questions to Owl and Eeyore as our days disappeared all too soon. But I've wondered much further away than I should, and I can't seem to find my way back to the wood...oh help me if you can, I 've gotta get back to the House at Pooh Corner by one..." What better song to sing to a child? This is one I still sing.

  32. 17. Tears In Heaven
  33. Between JBear and JBug, I lost a baby at 13 weeks. I have never felt such deep grief. It inhabited me, a foreign entity that was larger than I was. The only thing that helped was crying. I don't cry. Much. So this was very hard for me. I would listen to "Would you know my name if I saw you in Heaven..." and just sob. (You probably get the idea I cry a lot. I really don't) In fact, I probably should cry more often than I do.

  34. 18. Unwell
  35. Around about when my son was 2, I found out I was bipolar. I wasn't nuts, it wasn't me, it was actually a chemical thing. "I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell, but stay a while and baby then you'll see.." I started medication and felt normal for the first time in my life. I have sense found that I am chemically normal when pregnant or breastfeeding. Otherwise, I cycle, though it isn't as prominent as some.

  36. 19. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
  37. When my third child was born, JBean, she was 9 weeks early and spent a month in the NICU. This song became her theme song, because I realized, what if I had lost her? And, having had two other children, I know how fast the time flies. I really don't want to miss a thing! I would lie next to her in my bed, and just watch her sleep, and hum this song.

  38. 20. Angel
  39. Some wonder what this song is about. Sarah says it is about life on the road. I identify with the tortured artist in it, I guess. It just resonates in my core. Maybe it reminds me of what life was like without Christ...when I was seeking peace and something to quell the vague unrest in my soul. I still love the song though, because she gets it, "glorious sadness that brings me to my knees..." unless you have experienced it, it is hard to explain. But I have been there, and remember.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! PLEASE if you auto-link, leave a comment. I want to know you were here!

T, who sets her life to music

Technorati: ,

40 sent chocolate:

Lisa said...

I love it! I can relate to a bunch of these songs as well!

Lisa said...

I love it! I can relate to a bunch of these songs as well!

Carmen said...

Crazy Love is one of my fave songs, and LOVE Matchbox20

Anonymous said...

I've got Luchenbach Texas on my ipod. it's a song from my childhood. whenever I think of At this Moment, I see Michael J Fox. now I"ll be singing that all day... thanks for the good list!

Margaret said...

Great List. LOL! Rapper's Delight! I loved when the Granny lady sung it in that Adam Sandler Movie "The Wedding Singer." Meatballs? -Mix

the lizness said...

Thursday Twenty! :) I understand how some songs just fit right in.

my T13 are up today

Jane said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "Green, Green Grass of Home". "Hey Jude" is also a favorite. You have a great list of songs.
My list is up, drop on by.

Wystful1 said...

Oh wow, some awesome songs....and your description of green green grass of home (some probably have never even heard of it) is just fabulous. I love that song and get tearful with the lyrics.

my t t is up

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, what a great idea, and what a great song list! Many of your explanations gave me goosebumps. #1 is just so sweet.

Undercover Angel said...

A lot of these same songs would be on the soundtrack of my life also. Especially Green, Green Grass of Home because it was my father's favorite and because it was played at his funeral.

Frances D said...

I've seen it nearly a hundred times too.
There's nothing like Time Warping!
Thanks for sharing.
My own TT is up.
Take care,
Frances

Anonymous said...

This is a great list, it's funny how music is so central in our lives. Thanks for sharing.

Paula said...

Hi, great 13 and nice blog! I'm also in the OC--live in HB and work in Irvine.

Shash said...

you were at Rocky??? Me too!!! I knew I liked you for more than youre love of chocolate!!!

my TT will be up tonight. sorry for the delay.

Shash

ms blue said...

Music really does hold memories. There is power in finding a connection to a song. It is so personal yet so universal. Great list!

Norma said...

At last. Some songs I actually recognize. And I like the context in which you put them so we understand a bit more about you.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

Kim said...

there's a lot of power in music...it can bring back so many memories. I love 'Angel', if you're talking about the song by Aerosmith...

Heather said...

What a fun way to learn about you! Thanks for sharing!

Angie said...

Oh the memories! I can remember most of those songs too! Great idea for a TT.

Wendy Boucher said...

I love posts about songs. Instant memories flash in my head. Thanks!

YellowRose said...

Great list of songs!! I saw Foreigner in concert and they rocked...a Huge inflatible Jukebox came up out of the floor during that song....though I don't remember much of the rest of the concert...second hand smoke if you know what I mean! ;) (I was a rebel in those days)

Happy Thursday, my TT is up!

Natsthename said...

It sure is hard to narrow a soundtrack of life down to 13 songs! Luchenbach, Texas is part of my life, too. Waylon, and Willie, and THE BOYS! WOO HOO!! Loved this post!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Great list. Green, green grass of home and Hey Jude i can remember.
Thanks for dropping by.

Carol said...

Those are some great songs. "Arms Wide Open" and "Tears in Heaven" are two of my favorites. Thanks for visiting my TT.

Just Me said...

I really loved your list. I can remember lisening tomy grandmother singing Green Green Grass of home. Thanks for sharing.

Hope you had a great TT
Elle x

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, some powerful memories wrapped up in those songs. My daughter played "Butterfly Kisses" when her dad was walking her down the isle to be married. All the dads were teary! My TT is up.

Unknown said...

That was a Thursday Twenty, good job, I have a hard time getting to thirteen. Some really good songs there, sweet stories too-especially the ones about your daughter! Sorry to read about your losings a baby, tough, songs are amazing in their ability to touch us in such deep ways. I espeically like your #'s 14,15,&17-20, great songs. I posted on your friends site as well. My list is up!

Jo said...

Great list! I couldn't relate much to most of those songs.... I do love Pooh Corner, and Tears in Heaven would make anyone cry. Even those who haven't been through that type of grief. Doesn't Lyle Lovett sing Luchenbach Texas on one of his albums?

Bar L. said...

Good songs! I stopped by and left a comment for your firend yesterday, I wonder if it's cheating to leave more than one?

Anonymous said...

My dad used to sing "Hey Jude" and "Green, Green Grass of Home" when I was a kid. Sometimes, he and my mom would make it a duet, which I found so sweet and funny at the same time :)

"Unwell" is definitely a favorite of my brothers and I. Great list of songs!

tlwest said...

Sad sad song Tears in Heaven...

Anonymous said...

Great list! I used to sing Grandfather's Clock all the time too...lol!

Unknown said...

Another Matchbox 20 fan here! I also like Creed and Tears in Heaven! What a great list of songs.
Have a great weekend, and Happy TT!
Thanks for visting mine!

Anonymous said...

Yeah - someone mentioning some of my favorite songs from years ago (oh, so long ago). "Hey Jude", "Juke Hero", "Working for the Weekend" - too cool. Thanks for stopping by.

Laci said...

Great idea for a list, thank you for sharing it! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Scone said...

I hate to just pop in and say "Me too" but "me too" on Rapper's Delight, Green Green Grass, Angel, Unwell, Hey Jude, Juke Box, Time Warp, Weekend, and especially Tears in Heaven. My baby made it to 17 weeks, just barely. I thought I'd never recover, and every time I hear that song, I wonder how anyone does.

Anonymous said...

I recognize and love most of those songs. I especially enjoyed your input :)

MaR said...

There is a new local commercial for XXXL men's clothes and they dance the Time Warp, I love it!! it is hard to select music, I understand why you couldn't narrow your list to only 13...Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I remember the 'Green Green Grass of Home' and also 'Hey Jude'. They both hold very special memories for me. Thnx for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Great list. I have never heard some of those songs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics