Friday, June 06, 2008

No, Tourists Get Better Service

Today I went to lunch with a friend who has a son with autism. There we were, her with her son, and me with my two, plus the teenager. B is a great friend, and we have fun together. We like many of the same things. So there we were, discussing Monty Python and laughing:

"Well, the spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans and spam doesn't have much spam innit!"
But I don't like spam...I don' want it!"

We were just being silly and having a good time.

A server passing by approaches us and asks, "What language do you speak?" I look at my friend, she looks at me, completely confused. "Um, English?" I said. The server looks puzzled and said, "Oh, I thought I heard another language as I was walking by." After assuring her that no, we speak English except for JBear who looked at her and said,"Hola," thinking he was being funny we told her that, no, we speak English and that's all we speak, she walked away.

We laughed because it was just so bizarre. Then I said, "Sure, we speak another language, we call it Autism! We are fluent in Autism! Wonder if she needs an translator?"

Then from my friend: "I should have told her we were French, why do you think I have this outrageous-a akkcent-a, you silly English kaaa-niggit?"

Between the fact that we must live in a Foreign Land and the server who spilled lemonade on my friend and her son what do you know, usually it is a kid that spills during the meal...maybe the universe was righting itself since no one had spilled anything yet we probably won't be going that restaurant again any time soon. Always an adventure.

T, who knew I was weird but didn't realize I sounded that way

Technorati: , ,

2 sent chocolate:

Donna Cooper said...

Hey! My name is Donna, and I'm glad to find you! I have a little boy with HFA and Hyperlexia. He's 8 and definately keeps me on my toes!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Donna

Marla said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am going to look for some back posts on your decision to homeschool. I hope it is going well for you. Homeschooling has made all the difference. We too chose not to use the services from the school. They were not as good as what we could do on our own anyway. Have a great weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics