Saturday, June 07, 2008

"I'll Have the Quesadilla"

Today I was listening to Rock Star by Nickelback in the car, and it is one those songs that you need to crank way up and sing at the top of your lungs. but only with no kids in the car, because the lyrics are sometimes eyebrow-raising, PG-13. So I am singing this song, about credit cards with no limits and the mile-high club and drug dealers on speed-dial, and I realize...while the song is awesome, the message is horrible! What does it say about me that I listen to this? If you haven't heard it, here it is...but warning, it is PG, might not want to have littles around when you listen.

I was trying to decide..does Nickelback really want to be this type of Rock Star, or are they making a Statement about the excesses of the rock musician lifestyle?

And do I have to analyze every cotton-pickin' area of my life? Can't music just be music? Why do I take life so seriously, man, it's just rock n' roll. Except, it's not. It's life, and I remember what my 8th grade Sunday School teacher used to tell us: GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out. How does listening to this supposedly "harmless" song affect me and my attitude and my moral compass? And maybe it doesn't affect me, since I am an adult and my values are set...but what about kids who listen?

Then I decided, maybe I need to think on this. And if this is true, how much of my music would I have to change in order to reflect the values I want for my kids? When they were younger, I was very careful about what I exposed them to, but now that they are older, I am not as worried about it. Maybe that is misguided. Maybe now is when I have to watch what they are exposed to and listen to just uplifting music.

Don't get me wrong, I listen to Contemporary Christian music, and I love it. But there are times I just need something different. AND I find so much truth in music lyrics from the likes of Sarah MacLachlan, Van Morrision and even Panic at the Disco! But should all truth be allowed to reign in a child's mind? More to think about...

BUT for now, we are just going to go with silly stuff, ok? you can relax now, all the deep stuff is over for now On to the fun stuff...

I thought it would be fun to check out misheard lyrics for the song, just to lighten up a bit. This is what I found:

Misheard lyrics: live in little tour busses driving fifteen cars
Correct lyrics: Live in hilltop houses driving fifteen cars

Misheard lyric: And a big black chair with a bathroom in it.

Correct lyric: And a big black jet with a bedroom in it

Misheart lyric: Gonna cut a lot of grass so I can eat my meals for free

Correct lyric: Sign a couple autographs so I can eat my meals for free

In all seriousness, I wouldn't want to be a rock star. Too. Much. Pressure. I prefer the Internet, where I can be anonymous.

What silly lyrics have you misheard? Shout it out in comments.

T, who always mishears lyrics and sometimes just changes them to be funnier

Technorati: , ,

3 sent chocolate:

mommy~dearest said...

I know exactly what you mean- my taste in music is very sclectic, and I've been known to belt out "gangsta rap" at the top of my lungs. I always have to be aware of what CD is the last played in my car.

Anonymous said...

I found you from All Mediocre, I signed up and thought I would start looking at other blogs out there, yours was the first I clicked on and this post really hit home! I feel the same way. I think Nickelback was trying to make a statement on excess for this song, but still young ears don't know the difference, and hearing your 6 year old sing "we'll all stay skinny cuz we just won't eat" really REALLY bothered me! Glad to know there are others out there over analyzing every aspect of their lives ;)

Valerie Roberson said...

Very good point here. I have many songs I don't play around my daughter, so the question is why do I even have it? If I'm uncomfortable with the lyrics for her...I go back and forth with this situation. A friend of mine goes one step further and throws away all his secular CD's every two years or so! I guess I haven't been that convicted LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics