Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Why I am only mostly sane

per·sev·er·a·tion Pronunciation Key (pr-sv-rshn)n.

1. Uncontrollable repetition of a particular response, such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus, usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder. 2. The tendency to continue or repeat an act or activity after the cessation of the original stimulus.

2. The act or an instance of persevering; perseverance.

3. MY SON

Let me back up. My son is said to have autism. I won't debate it, he is definitely somewhere on the Spectrum. He has many behaviors, some to a lesser degree than might be expected in autism. Normally, we deal with it. But, when he gets something in his head, he never gives in. Once he wants to do something, he just keeps asking. He is like the Energizer Bunny. And he makes me want to dig out my brain with a can opener. Consider this exchange tonight:

"Mommy, may I play my Gameboy?" (answer was no)

[5 minutes later]

"Mommy, may I play my Gameboy?"

"No.." (followed by an explanation)

[5 minutes later]

"Mommy, may I play my Gameboy?"

(answer was no, with the addition of please don't ask again)

[5 minutes later]

"Mommy, may I play my Gameboy?"

(answer was no, with the addition of please don't ask again)

[5 minutes later]

"Mommy, may I play my Gameboy?"

(answer was no, with the addition of please don't ask again)


Finally after HOURS of this, I said to him in exasperation:

"If you ask me ONE more time about the Gameboy, you are going to bed!"


Complete silence. Then, and I KID YOU NOT:

"Can I play my Gameboy in bed?"

3 sent chocolate:

Kat said...

Gotta love when they try.LOL
Nice blog

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

Yes, I figure one day that ingenuity will be used to cure cancer or build a better blogging editor, or something.

Until then, it teaches me patience.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I laughed and laughed. This is JUST like them. Don't despair about the boy--he's cut out to be a lawyer!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics