Image by Send Chocolate via Flickr
You know how we went to New Zealand over a month ago? We were gone for sixteen days, then I came home, readjusted and moved forward. While I was there, I sent four postcards to my home address here in the states. I sent the postcards from the Blue Penguin Colony in Oamaru, to Fullerton, in Southern California, where I live. They were sent as far as I can remember, we mailed them around Feb. 20th. I waited and and waited for them to show up in my mailbox once I got home. I finally gave up.
Yesterday, guess what I found in the mailbox. Apparently, it takes SIX WEEKS to get from the south island of New Zealand to the west coast of the United States. Now, I am a pretty easy-going person, but I think this is ridiculous. It's approximately 7,000 miles from here to Oamaru... but should it really take SIX weeks for a postcard to get here? Was it on the slow boat?
Apparently, some parts of the postal service in New Zealand is privatized. I am thinking they aren't very efficient. And some say that the U.S. should privatize mail as well. can you imagine, waiting SIX weeks to get a post card? More importantly, what about time-sensitive mail?
It was surreal to find those postcards in the mailbox, after I had given up on them. And it made me think, what else might just show up out of the blue?
- that library book I lost and paid for when I was twelve. I think it was The Endless Steppes
- my keys, in 1988. They were on a Pooh Bear keychain, with a purple pom pom and a "Yes, I know I'm sexy" key fob. I lost them in a dive bar called Doc Rickett's, in Monterey. Pretty sure I lost my dignity there, too. But I Don't really remember. That's probably not recoverable...
- JBug's cell phone. Yes, it's missing. Again.
- most of my spoons, that have disappeared from the silverware drawer.
- all of the mates to the socks that I wash together, and they come out alone
- most of the stuff I put away when my parents came to visit and now seems lost forever in the no mans' land that is my closet
- my mind
- the pithy and witty ending to this post. Cause I got nothin.
T, who should have quit while she was aheadHow about you? What's the weirdest thing you've lost?Tell me about it!