Since school just started for us I thought it would be fun to list some reasons why I homeschool.(contrary to popular thought, it wasn't just because I could stay home all day and drink martinis while not waiting in the public school carpool line). Necessity lead me to homeschooling, it's true. When you have a child with high-functioning autism, he can fall through the cracks. My son was not a good fit for the existing special education classes but couldn't function in mainstreaming, even with a full-time aide. So I decided to bring him home that first year. He was already behind in Math and Reading and was in the first grade. I figured I could do as well as the school did, and better if we were lucky. It worked so well the next year I brought my oldest daughter home to study. And at that point, I knew I would homeschool my littlest one as well.
So necessity began my homeschool career, but that's not what kept me going. "Why do you homeschool" I am asked. Here are some of my reasons.1. You can sleep in if you stay up too late the night before. (just don't do it too often!)
2. Creative Teaching! If at first you don't get it, there's always another way.
3. Kids can run around when they need to
4. Don't have to ask permission to go to the bathroom
5. Nature Walks!
6. Long, meandering side trips into History
7. P.E. is playing outside (no calisthenics, which my daughter hates)
8. No Detention
9. Your teacher loves you, always
10.Field Trips pretty much whenever we want
11.Don't like the book? Find another one!
12. School in the middle of Mommy's bed (or under a tree outside, or on the couch)
13. Pajama Days!
14. Lunch is edible.
15. Chewing gum helps with concentration, and it's not against the rules!
16. Intelligent discussions!
17. Kids who WANT to study what they are studying.
18. No bullying
19. Little to no peer pressure
20. More time for the things that really count like art and music.
T, who figured why let schooling interfere with their education