Saturday, July 31, 2010

Put on a vest with an S on your chest, oh yes (Blogher is comin')




Every year around this time there is a cacophony of protest raised on twitter and elsewhere and it needs to stop. Some pretty fabulous women, women who otherwise are self-assured and together, freak the hell out at the mere thought of meeting other women, who feel the same way. Why?

Blogher is our conference. Women bloggers. (and some men) come together for an annual roustabout celebrating that thing that the outside world pooh-poohs, writing a blog. And we are all in the same boat. It is what unites us. With varying degrees of transparency, we proverbially barf all over the Internet's shoes, and hope that the resulting mess is something that will be accepted. Some write about nipple rings, some about death, some about children, some about business. The point is, we write.

So it kills me to watch every year as women who are amazing and talented downplay their skill because they aren't, in their mind, A List bloggers. Honestly? Who is? Because if you talk to those so-called "A List" bloggers, they don't think they have "made it" either. So who defines success as a blogger? How many are actually making a career out of their blog? Dreadfully low numbers, I can assure you. And for all the sleep you lose thinking that the A List bloggers aren't going to like you? I guarantee that someone thinks YOU are A-List and wants to meet you.

YOU make a difference. You might not realize it, but you really do. Every time you hit "publish" on your blog, people are moved. And what makes you special is that you write. So what if you aren't the biggest blog, with the best stats. Screw the stats. Seriously. Write because you like it. No, write because you love it. Don't get caught up in the "Business" of blogging. Forget your "brand" and the swag. Just write.

And next week, when we all get together, hold your head up high, rock those shoes like the mutha that you are. You are a writer, dammit. It's enough. And you are worth knowing. Do not be intimidated, get in there and meet people.

You are good enough, you are smart enough, and doggone it, people like you. See you in New York City, Superwoman.

- Posted from my iPad

6 sent chocolate:

Janet Isserlis said...

watching this, or reading this from afar. it is an odd thing how we, we people, we women people, gravitate towards some hierarchy or another;
it's hard to just let ourselves be, it seems.
i like that you point out that what binds us is writing. is knocking on the glass, on the screen, on the keyboard, asking that age old question: is anybody there?
is anyone the fuck home?
sometimes we ask in rage, in desperation, in joy, in grief. but we ask.
and if we're lucky - and smart - we think about answering, too.

we speak, we listen, opposable thumbs, language.

blessings, curses, gifts.

Spot said...

Oh Tina! You hit the nail on the head. Just write. Perfect.

I hope you have a wonderful time at Blogher!! And that you come back and share the experience with those of us not going. I think next year I will try to make it. Not to meet A-list bloggers, but to meet all the truly fabulous women I've *met* through blogging.

♥Spot

Heather said...

This is awesome! And I totally agree!

Lara said...

I'm suddenly struck with an overwhelming desire to blast "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar" REALLY LOUD. I am blogger, hear me write. Or something.

Can't wait to see you! :)

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

Janet: ultimately, I think writing is validation for existence. Create, present and bask.

Spot: I am saddened that you aren't attending this year. I will miss meeting you in person.

Heather: Thanks so much! It needed to be said, I think.

Lara: I sense a sing-a-long. Or maybe karaoke. I am blogger, see me write, I tweet a lot, I do not fight...and I know too much to keep it to 140 characters.... or something to that end.. can't wait to see you!

t.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Thank for the words for a newbie! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics