Thursday, August 18, 2011

What Not to Do With Your Underwear

I walked into my hotel room and stopped short. The maid had been there.. The wastebasket had been emptied, the sink was wiped down and the beds had been made. Housekeeping had made another discovery, as well. How embarrassing. My turquoise boy-cut Hanes underwear were on top of my pillow, staring at me.

I was in town for the womens' blogging convention, Blogher. Leaving my hotel room bright and early, I was rushing to get to breakfast and then my next session. That's how Blogher is..there is always somewhere to be, and always five minutes ago. Or maybe that's just me.

I have a terrible habit of leaving my underwear under my pillow at home. My giant dog, who can put her head upon my higher-than-normal bed, has a tendency to steal underwear that are left at the foot of the bed at night. After a few mornings of waking up to find my unmentionables had become a snack, I took aversive action. Into the hamper with those skivvies. She found them there, too. Yum yum. Munch, munch, munch, she said. That's when my underwear ended up under my pillow when I sleep.

So here I was, at the Marriott, 5-star resort, and the housekeeper thinks I am

1) a pig.
OR
2) so drunk I either
A) forgot where I put my underwear
B) got lucky and was so carried away I didn't think about where my underwear were

Unfortunately, the truth is a lot more boring. I didn't get drunk. I certainly didn't have sex with anyone. I simply went on auto-pilot without thinking. It's like when you drive the kids to school everyday and then forget that it's a weekend and you are going to the grocery store and you drive there only you end up halfway to school? Again, just me?

It seems silly, I won't ever see the housekeeping staff again. But I realize...I am so boring. I can't help wishing I had at least had sexier, more interesting underwear. Something hot pink, lacy, racy and thongy? I have those, I just didn't wear them. When you get to be my age, sometimes comfort wins over sex appeal. And since I knew no one would be seeing my underwear but me, I didn't really worry about it. (What comes to mind is the age-old momism, "Did you put on clean underwear? What if you get in an accident??") Instead, the maid not only saw my underwear, she had to touch them.

When I left the hotel room, I cleaned up after myself, picking up trash, making my bed, rinsing out the sink. I checked under the pillow twice. And I left a big tip.

My check-in tip on foursquare: "Check under your pillow so you find your underwear before the maid does," Social media for the win. Don't say you haven't been warned.

5 sent chocolate:

Anonymous said...

Giggle, giggle :) I wonder what went through her head as she was deciding where to put your underwear after she had made the bed.
On the bright side, I'm sure the maid has found much worse under pillows (and elsewhere) before.
Starlene

Kenner said...

Hahaha, I would love to read that woman's blog! The things maids have to deal with in hotel rooms must be AWFUL!

Ann Imig said...

Thank you for you kind comment about the Open Mic Salon on the LTYM site. More than likely, I was wearing my Hanes boy-cuts too.

:)

Mary Mallon said...

"When you get to be my age, sometimes comfort wins over sex appeal."

Interesting. For all 28 years of my life, I have never chosen sex appeal over comfort. Maybe that's why I get weird looks, etcetera all the time.

Playoutsidegal said...

Oh no! At least it was a hotel and not a friend's house where you'd have to face them again! I left panties on a train in Tokyo. Some pervy businessman probably thought he hit the jackpot. I somehow pulled out my panties when I was rifling through my bag for a guidebook. They were clean, but I was still traumatized and certainly didn't go to the lost and found.

Not Supermom sent me!
Karen
www.nakedmommydiaries.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Clicky Web Analytics